Rules for Canfield
- Thirteen cards are dealt to the reserve pile.
- One card is dealt to the leftmost foundation pile, which becomes the foundation base value.
- One card is then dealt to each tableau pile.
- Build cards down in value and alternating suit color.
- The top card of a tableau pile or the reserve pile is always available for play on a foundation.
- Only the top card of the reserve pile is available for play.
- Cards in the tableau that are built down in value and alternating suit color can be moved as a unit if the bottommost card of the pile may be built on top of another tableau pile.
- Whenever all the cards of a tableau pile are cleared away, the next card from the reserve is automatically dealt to the empty space. If the reserve is empty, any card may be moved to the empty space.
- Turn up cards from the stock one or three at a time (see Variations below) in a discard pile.
- The top card of the discard pile is available for play on foundations or tableau piles.
- Unused cards in the discard pile are recycled after the stock is depleted.
- Move the cards matching the foundation base value to the row above the tableau as they are made available.
- Build the foundations in ascending suit sequence, wrapping from King to Ace as necessary.
- Move all the cards to the foundations.
Available Variations: Use the popup menu in the speed bar to select either one-card or three-card draw before starting play for a new game. Once a game is started, the number to draw cannot be altered without starting a new game.
This particular implementation of Canfield has no limit on the number of times the discard pile may be recycled.
"Superior" Rules Variation: Select the checkbox in the speed/status bar to select the "Superior" rules variation before starting play for a new game. The rules variation is in effect if the menu item is checked. The "Superior" rules do not require an empty tableau space to be immediately filled from the reserve. Also, the reserve pile is spread so that all the cards are visible.
Scoring: One point for each card moved to a foundation. Maximum score is 52.
Chance of Winning: 1 in 30 games for three card draw variation. Better odds for one card draw.